Friday, June 1, 2012

Teaching Boys Feminism

Ileana Jiménez over at The Feminist Teacher wrote an excellent post last March about teaching young boys feminism and how it affects their lives. Read the excerpt below, then check out the full post here.
I’ve read many horror stories about women’s studies professors being heckled by male students who are just there to make a sexist scene. In the high school setting where I teach, I have never had that experience. Instead, the boys in my classes are curious about how feminism might connect to their lives. They want to know if feminism can help them become better versions of themselves in a world that tells them only one version is acceptable.

The boys in my feminism course have taught me that it is essential that we teach them about the various global feminisms so that we can finally reach gender, racial, and economic justice together as fully realized men and women. They have taught me that it is crucial that we bring a feminist lens to not only high school classrooms but middle and elementary schools as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment